June 04, 2005

The Joy of Multiplayer Gaming

I am addicted to my Playstation. I absolutely love the "escapism" aspects of gaming.

Unfortunately, I rarely have much time to play. I work about 60-70 hours a week as a commercial real estate attorney for a large Midwestern firm. When I get home from work, I try to spend quality time with my wife and my two children. By the time we get the kids to bed, I am lucky if I have an hour or two to play. Of course, I don't play every night (my wife would not likely tolerate that). Rather, maybe about 2-3 nights a week. On weekends, I might spend a few hours in the afternoon.

For the most part, my wife is very understanding. I usually only play when she is gone (usually, 2 or 3 nights a week). If I play when she is home, it gives her the opportunity to watch soap operas she recorded on our DVR or read a book.

I have been playing Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory multiplayer for about a month and a half. Playing multiplayer is great, but at the same time, very frustrating. I typically compete against other players that spend far more time playing than I do. As a result, I often get spanked. Not real good for your ego. When I do start winning, there are, of course, those idiots that will just quit the game and prevent me from improving my online ranking. Oh well, it can't be that bad.... I keep going back.

My theory: Splinter Cell is essentially computerized crack to me. I guess I could have much more destructive habits - alcoholism, drug abuse, etc.
| |

<< Home