September 06, 2005

Democratic Compassion - "Why I Won't Donate For Katrina"

According to Johnny Fairplay at the Daily Kos, he will not be donating to charities assisting the Hurricane Katrina victims because Louisiana and Mississippi voted heavily in favor of George Bush in the 2004 election. Evidently, Bush hatred is so intense among some Democrats that Republican voters are not worthy of saving. You can find the link here. If Daily Kos decides to delete the link, you can find the cached version here.
Why I Won't Donate For Katrina.
By Johnny Fairplay
Sat Sep 3rd, 2005 at 05:28:24 PDT

Louisiana

Bush 1,102,169 57%

Kerry 820,299 42%

Mississippi

Bush 684,981 60%

Kerry 457,766 40%
By large margins, Louisiana and Mississippi chose tax cuts, war in Iraq and incompetent leadership over levee improvements, FEMA and keeping the National Guard home. Unfortunately now they have to deal with some unpleasant consequences of their choice. Hope the Bush photo opportunities give them some comfort.
To their credit, the majority of people commenting at Daily Kos with respect to this particular post are loudly telling this poster to go to hell...

A poster named Shark at Blogcritics.org writes rather eloquently (sarcasm intended) as to why he will not be donating to Katrina:
I CAN'T DONATE to the fund; I'm fucking BROKE. I don't have A DIME TO SPARE.

In 2000 -- when Bush came into office -- I was an upper-middle class guy with a great job.

Now I'm barely employed and have NO health insurance. Yeah, me and 45 MILLION OTHER AMERICANS.

I'm also paying some $3 a gallon for my little gas-saving Nissan to cart me to my barely above minimum wage, part-time, no benefits job.

I'm worried about my own family's survival...

...SO ASK THE FUCKING RICH to donate.

Ask my boss to donate. Ask the GOP PACS to donate.

Ask Bush's Reelection Committee to donate.

Ask those FAITH-BASED prayer mongers to wave their fucking magic wands over this disaster.

Offer some prayers.

(Guess the ones you offered BEFORE Katrina struck didn't work, huh?)

Ask the overpaid, underworked rich-ass CEOs to donate.

Ask the assholes in this country who supported Cowboy Bush and his $200+ BILLION BAGHDAD BOONDOGGLE to cough up some cash.

I ain't got it.
A poster named Blunderford at Blogcritics.org was offended that he was asked to donate by a store clerk and unequivocally states that he will not contribute:
Let Bush open his wallet. I'm sure he's still got a few nickels rolling around his pockets from flipping the Texas Rangers like a Miami condo.

You 60 million losers who voted for this loser open YOUR wallets. This president declared war on the poor long ago, and while some of us cared enough to vote for someone who gave a damn, you buried your heads in the sand, babbled about abortion and family values, and voted for the doofus.

And now you want to act all high and mighty and come asking me for a buck or two to help these poor people? Sorry, Charlie. Take an extra buck or two out of the fund you set aside to buy seventeen Support Our Troops magnets to stick all over your car to show how patriotic you are.

You want disaster relief? Impeach George W. Bush.
By posting these three posts, I am not trying to characterize all Democrats as being of a similar mindframe. This is definitely not my intention. From what I can tell, the overall majority of Democratic bloggers I have read appear to support providing aid to the Hurricane victims. These particular posters are clearly some very morally unbalanced and disturbed individuals, who - I hope - speak for no one other than their own demented selves.

However, I am writing about these posters for two particular reasons: (a) I am getting really sick and tired of hearing about how all Democrats are compassionate while Republicans are cruel, heartless people who will do nothing to help their fellow man and (b) I wanted to let people know that there are some Democrats, who are so blind in their hatred of Bush and the Republicans that they would dismiss the suffering of those who have been devastated by this tragedy.
| |

<< Home