May 05, 2006

Patrick Kennedy Cover-Up - Update

From the Washington Post:


"Following the last series of votes on Wednesday evening, I returned to my home on Capitol Hill and took the prescribed amount" of the two medications, the 38-year-old congressman said.

"Sometime around 2:45 a.m., I drove the few blocks to the Capitol Complex believing I needed to vote," the statement continued. "Apparently, I was disoriented from the medication. . . . At no time before the incident did I consume any alcohol."

Kennedy, a six-term congressman, said that Capitol Police officers told him to park his Ford Mustang and drove him home. "At no time did I ask for any special consideration," the statement said. "I simply complied with what the officers asked me to do

Medication? Really?! That's a good one. Even if this were true, which I am highly skeptical of, he had no business driving after taking Ambien - it's a sleeping pill!!! He still made the decision to drive a motor vehicle after taking drugs that diminished his ability and capacity to do so... Moreover, I believe that you can still be guilty of DUI in most jurisdictions if you are under the influence of a drug as opposed to alcohol. Anyone know what the law is in D.C.?

Looks like I am not the only one expressing skepticism:

Lou Cannon, president of the D.C. Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 1, expressed skepticism.

"The timeliness of the statement says everything," he said. "It took up to 10 o'clock," or 19 hours after the 2:50 a.m. incident, to offer the expanded explanation.

Good point.
| |

<< Home